[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadows to Kennedy Meadows

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 10:53:19 CST 2013

This is to the Tom who wants to get from Horseshoe Meadows to Kennedy Meadows South.

I got my ride from Horseshoe Meadows to Lone Pine from the first car. They drove me to the McDonalds in Lone Pine. I had to wait about 90 minutes there to get a ride south. The third ride up Hwy 178 to Walker Pass was really easy - the first car passed and then turned around and gave me a ride all the way up to the campground at Walker Pass. It was a woman with two young kids in the car, she lived in Onyx, which is near Lake Isabella. She was a local.

I would like to point out that the Crest Bus is a possible way to get to the road that goes up to Kennedy - but, it does not run every day and your timing has to be right to catch it.

I should point out that it helps if you are holding up, next to your thumb, one of those bright magic bandannas that they give you at the Kickoff. I also pin on a sign saying my hoped for destination. If that destination is too far, you are less likely to be picked up. Once you score a ride, you can mention a farther destination if you have one. I showed the side that says "Hiker to Town" when hitching from Horseshoe. To hitch up to Walker I showed the "Hiker to Trail" side. If you don't have one of those magic bandannas, make one. Hiking alone definitely helps and your pack should be in plain sight. Locals, who are aware of PCT hikers, will often stop. Also, smile and hold your thumb in an upward and optimistic position. That approach has worked well for me - and I have done a lot more hitching than most hikers do during my ride of the PCT. I would leave my horse in safe care (prearranged) and drive my rig north as far as 350 miles, caching my
 resupplies as I went. Then I would park my rig in a safe place (prearranged) near the PCT at a place that I could ride to. Then I hitched south to my horse - tacked up, and rode north to where I had parked my rig, picking up my resupplies as I went. Then repeat.

Have a good hike/hitch

MendoRider- Hiker