[pct-l] Impact of WILD on PCT numbers

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 18:47:46 CST 2013

Paul

I read that book. My daughter gave it to me for my birthday.

You wanted thoughts on whether it will inspire a lot more people to hike the PCT. I don't think it will.
Cheryl Strayed had a miserable hike. It was an ordeal. She didn't have a good time. Some potential hikers who might be considering trying the PCT might be discouraged, and decide not to, after reading the book. A few others might want to accept the challenge. So, I think reading the book will make very little difference. There will most likely be more hikers than last year. It's that way every year as the trail becomes increasingly popular.

What I'm more concerned about is that the Mountain Bikers are trying to get legal access to not only the PCT, but also Wilderness Areas. That would be a real disaster. I seriously doubt that they will succeed - but, we might have a fight ahead of us. Fortunately, the law is still on our side.

I hope you reach 78!

MendoRider-Hiker