[pct-l] Early Finish Date

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jan 30 18:50:40 CST 2013

I know it's old, but Ray Jardine's hikers guide to the PCT published in
the 90s still has a relevant perspective on this question.  Then there
is the snowpack to consider.  This year is "predicted" to be a low snow
year.

I've met hikers (on my section hikes) on the kind of pace to finish in
four months or less.  A couple years ago a woman trailnamed
"Hummingbird" was on a three months schedule.  But that woman could
float up the steepest trail...

It'sbest if you can trust your skill level and ability to make rational
choices in dicey situations than your gear.

Are you willing to walk 12 to 14 hours a day, six or seven days a week?

Jeff
Rapid City, SD