[pct-l] Impact of WILD on PCT numbers

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 31 07:54:25 CST 2013

I went to hear her read excerpts from her book and do a book signing.
It seemed to me from the things she said that basically out west, she
talks a lot more about the trail because more people know about
hiking-related things but almost anywhere else she goes, nobody is
interested in the trail. And overall, MOST people are interested in
the relationship part of the book and consider the trail part to be
more like a vehicle to tell the story of getting over her mom's
death, which indeed it is. Several people who got up to ask questions
after her talk were very interested in one day hiking the trail or
they were currently working on sections. I didn't get a sense that
overwhelmingly everybody wanted to rush out and hike the PCT. Just as
many or more people got up to ask questions about details in the book
regarding her relationship with her mother or to ask about how to be
a writer.