[pct-l] Impact of WILD on PCT numbers

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 31 10:04:26 CST 2013

> It was more about her and less about the trail than I was hoping for.

Certainly true.  I was given the book at Christmas and actually enjoyed it,
in that she is a fine writer.  As a collector of quotes, I did grab the
following lines from the book.  A bit pessimistic perhaps, but an
interesting image, with a kernel of truth:

"It literally felt as if I were almost always, impossibly, going up.   Going
down, I realized, was like taking hold of the loose strand of yarn on a
sweater you'd just spent hours knitting and pulling it until the entire
sweater unraveled into a pile of string.  Hiking the PCT was the maddening
effort of knitting that sweater and unraveling it over and over again.  As
if everything gained was inevitably lost."       -      Cheryl Strayed,
Wild, p. 222.

Dr Bob