[pct-l] Yosemite Valley & the Sierra High Route

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jan 31 14:52:49 CST 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 10:52 AM, patrick griffith <patrickjgriffith at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Given that the PCT doesn't go through Yosemite Valley is it realistic to attempt to hike there across from Reds Meadow following the Sierra High Route? There is no way I can pass up the opportunity of seeing Yosemite Valley from the top of Half Dome, but I don't especially want to have to backtrack from Tuolumne Meadows, and I don't want to have to hitch or get a bus, it would feel like cheating to me. I have been reading up about the Sierra High Route as a way of getting across to Yosemite from Reds Meadow, and then taking the JMT up to Tuolumne. Is it incredibly naive of me to think this might be possible? I have no doubt that it would be hella tough hors pisting, but by the time I get to Reds Meadow I reckon I'll be strong enough and experienced to give it a shot. Does anyone have experience hiking any or all of the High Route who could enlighten me?

I can't speak specifically to the nature of the Sierra High Route, but be aware that your PCT permit is not valid if you leave the PCT.  If you are going to hike other trails in the area make sure you've got the correct permits. If you are entering Yosemite by trail other than the PCT I believe you can get permits from the National Forest office in Mammoth Lakes (i.e. you don't have to get the permit from a Yosemite back country office).  I suspect (but don't have any special knowledge) that hiking off-the PCT would be more of a problem in Yosemite than in the surrounding national forests.  Lots of PCT hikers take alternate routes in this area (Fish Creek, JMT vs PCT, etc.).  Once you are within the boundaries of Yosemite you'll have a higher chance of running into a back country ranger.

Setting aside the permit issue, I think it is a wonderful idea to hike down to Yosemite Valley while in the area.  There are an endless number of possible routes that leave the PCT, intersect the valley, and then return to the PCT.

Radar