[pct-l] Impact of Wild

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 15:04:02 CST 2013

Of course it might be comparing oranges to apples, but apparently the number of
Americans who applied for their "compostela" (a certificate indicating that
the recipient has hiked at minimum the last 62 miles, but could be 500+ miles)
of the Spanish Camino de Santiago last year doubled. Numbers went from 3334 in
2011 to 7062 in 2012. This was largely due to the Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez
movie "The Way" that had recently come out. I doubt the PCT will see a similar
increase in successful thru-hikers, but I have little doubt that Strayed's Wild
has increased awareness of the trail.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine