[pct-l] Packages to Canada

Maxine Weyant weyantm at msn.com
Mon Jul 1 02:50:30 CDT 2013

Joyce,

When I was at Manning a few years ago, the room was stocked with little shampoo bottles, conditioner, and soaps that would last you for a few days in Vancouver, and most hotels in Vancouver would have them too.  There is a gift shop at Manning and there are tons of little and big drug stores in Vancouver where you can pick up all the little things you might think you need now, and probably won't need or want once you've come off the trail, even if it's just a section hike.

I don't know you but I can honestly say that if you sent yourself high heels after completing the PCT, you would say to yourself WTF was I thinking!!!  I recommend hanging out at the beach and Stanley Park to ease your transition back into the "world."

I live in Seattle and go to Vancouver about twice a year.  It is most definitely a foot-friendly walking shoe kind of town.  My husband and I do 10-16 mile hikes in and around Vancouver all the time. We then go out for dinner (in very nice places) in Keen's and Merrell clogs (black always looks dressier, of course.)  It is a very culturally-alive and dignified city, but it ain't Manhattan and it ain't Milan. People don't care what you wear or look like, though smelling like hiker-skank would be a no-no.

Fair warning, they seem to have a surplus of skunks and raccoons in the parks and beaches right now.  Kind of weird seeing a skunk waddling down the sidewalk toward you at night when you're walking your dogs…..

Cheers,

Dys-feng shui-nal