[pct-l] Notch or Contrail?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 14:02:49 CDT 2013

I have not had experience with either of those tents.  I have ridden the PCT from Mexico to Canada.  I brought an MSR Hubba.  I only used the rainfly if it was raining, snowing, or if it seemed as though it might during the night.  I also used it if I wanted privacy, which was not often a consideration since I almost always camped alone with my horse. So. for me, need for the rainfly was pretty rare.  Most important was that with just the netting I could see outside and the ventilation was great. Even with the rainfly on, condensation was never a problem since that tent is designed to favor ventilation and there is good separation between the netting and the rainfly.  The Hubba would not be large enough for two - but, they also offer the Hubba-Hubba two person tent.  The MSR tents are very easy to set up and are free-standing until staked - you can easily move the Hubba to a different location if you wish.

From your description of the two tents under consideration I would go with the Tarp Tent.

Have a great hike,

MendoRider