[pct-l] Mountain Lion Encounter

Ben G bengrunbaum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 17:07:48 CDT 2013

Maybe those spot devices are not such a good idea.   I can imagine how much
money and gas was wasted on that call.  People are becoming too dependent
on them and are pressing the help button when they most certainly should
not have done so.  There is plenty of information out there about how to
respond in situations such as this.  GPS and Spot units seem to provide a
false sense of security.  The girl in the video seemed incredulous that it
took seven hours to get to her.  What did she expect?  I am afraid people
are becoming too dependent on phones, GPS and spot units.

Encountering a mountain lion is one of the many privileges and/ or
terrifying experiences we may experience on the trail.  If you ever plan to
travel alone you should be prepared to deal with the many challenges
(mental and physical) you may experience.  And you should be prepared to
deal with those challenges by yourself.  I have found the best way to do
that is to read about how to respond to the different situations, injuries
or equipment failures you may be presented with, over and over.  You will
be amazed at how much you have absorbed and can recall in times of need,
when you assume that you are not prepared to deal with every situation you
may encounter.  One of the best resources, IMHO, is to sign up on
Backpacker Magazine's email list.  Much of the information, in the magazine
and email list, is stuff I think I remember but I read it anyway.  All the
other information about repairing gear or survival techniques only prepares
me more.