[pct-l] Finding your way without technology

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:14:23 CDT 2013

Thank you for that.

I often found my way on the PCT simply by following the trail and
watching the clock. In 2 hours I ought to pass such-and-such as
indicated in the guide book. 2 hours would pass, I'd look for such-
and-such and confirm I knew where I was. I also got to know the trail
itself. It has a personality. At unmarked junctions I took the path
that looked like the PCT. I thought this was inferior to what other
people were doing but it worked for me.

I got lost two times. On the first lost experience, I reminded myself
that all the creeks were flowing downstream to a reservoir and the
worst thing that would happen is I would follow this creek and end up
on the shore of that lake and have to call out to a boater passing
by. On the second lost experience I comforted myself by knowing at
the very least I was going north and had to cross the highway
eventually. Seeing a lake with a recognizable shape let me know where
exactly I was because there was a lake shaped the same on one of the
section overview pages in the guide book. Stupid way to navigate when
you are lost but it worked.

Yesterday I went to a party and found my way by knowing that the
house was on the side of a hill and just watching the hill approach.
I knew to look for his street when the hill was getting close.
Whenever I navigate this way in a vehicle it drives certain other
people in the car crazy. But what is wrong with finding your way by
simply looking out the window? I've often known where I am on a map
when I'm hiking by knowing where I am in space, where I physically am
in the geography of the area, even though I'm having a hard time
finding the little secret trail we're following and getting "lost"
continuously.