[pct-l] Mountain Lion Encounter

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:27:12 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Maxine Weyant <weyantm at msn.com> wrote:

>  It was so freeing to be rid of that thing.  Never again, unless I hike in
> Grizzly country.

Hiking your own hike, that is all anyone should ever do.

> Smaller pepper sprays won't do much good for a charging bear, and a lot of
> them emit a cloud that could blow back into your face.

Quoted for truth. Small pepper sprays may be absolutely useless out in the
wilds. Bear spray is for bears, etc. Self defense pepper spray is for
people (and sometimes not very good for that purpose, either).

> There is one that emits a stream that can be deployed from about 10 feet
> away.  I've never used it, but it's made by Sabre, it's their maximum
> strength (Red) spray and it supposedly has 25 bursts. You can read about it
> on Amazon.  Unfortunately you can't fly with pepper spray or air horns,
> even packed in checked luggage.
>
> Dys-feng shui-nal

Knowledge is more powerful than weapons and fear. Gather all important info
before setting off and doing something.

For animals, you want them to inhale a big whiff of pepper spray, get it in
and on their nose, and even in their eyes if possible. This will cause them
to lose their natural senses they rely upon, become the scared party, and
bail out.

Hike your own hike, folks. Bear spray is heavy, may be uncomfortable, and
clunky to carry, but do watcha gotta do for your concerns.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."