[pct-l] Powerhouse Fire and Trail Maintenance

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 18:35:30 CDT 2013

Charles / Quincy Rider beat me to the point I was going to make in response to Weathercarrots excellent post.....

People have asked me previously when maintenance will be "done".  My response is never - having a well maintained trail is a never ending process, a journey with the destination always on the horizon, some times closer, some times further away, not about some end state that can ever be achieved beyond a fleeting moment, if ever.  Such is the trail, and the maintainers efforts.

For myself, I enjoy working on the trail as its own reward.  Looking back at the end of a day, or project, and seeing that things are better that when we started has a great sense of satisfaction to it.  And while it MAY burn to a crisp or be washed away in but a few days, or another tree falls within a week, I take solace in knowing that on average this doesn't happen.

For those of you on the list up here in Washington, your local PCTA crew is gearing up to start their 2013 maintenance season in just a few weeks.  Trees are down on the trail and they're going to be removed before the thru hikers get here.  There's still a seemingly endless supply of brush to clear, and slowly eroding tread to restore as well.  The only thing the crew is wanting for is more volunteers....to move us closer to that spot on the horizon.

Get hold of the PCTA volunteer coordinator to find your local trail crew, no matter where you are on the trail - they'll hook you up.

volunteer at pcta.org