[pct-l] REI changes return policy to return before 1 year

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu Jun 6 16:27:07 CDT 2013

I don't see it quite that way.  My guess is that the abuse just got beyond
what they could tolerate and stay in business.  But that's just a guess
since they don't release (that I know of) their data on this matter.
Perhaps when REI got started they felt that they could do this and make it
work, especially as a co-op.  But things change, times change.  It'll be
interesting to see if other stores (thinking particularly of LL Bean) will
toss their life-time return policy too.  I don't fault REI at all on this.
As far as the capitalism "charge" goes, well yes what do you expect.  A
company trying to stay in business and protect the bottom line.  I'm glad
they're doing what they have to do to remain a viable company.  I'll gladly
keep shopping there.