[pct-l] HEET

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Jun 7 13:26:58 CDT 2013

Brett Kenney said:   "How much HEET would you carry for a five day
stretch assuming you cook two
 meals plus tea twice a day?"

I think that Skurka recommends 3/4 oz for each boil using a cat food
can stove. I don't use an alcohol stove--don't want to carry the
liquid fuel and want the ability to simmer--I use a Snow Peak lite max
stove that weighs 2 oz. I use isobutane canisters. One 8 oz capacity
canister (actual weight is a few ounces more for the weight of the
container) lasted me 40 days on the Grand Enchantment Trail this
spring. I only use the stove once a day to bring food to a boil, then
use a pot cozy and let it sit for the rest of the cooking.
Occasionally I do simmer stuff, though. I set up a mailing box with a
replacement canister for friends to send--it has to be specially
labelled as ORM-D ground transportation only, but this is no big deal.
In the end it is lighter for me to use an isobutane stove setup over
the long haul, with less hassle of carrying and buying HEET and
putting up with the limitations of alcohol stoves.

--Fireweed