[pct-l] ] Thru numbers and trail angels

Cat Nelson sagegirl51 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 09:23:33 CDT 2013

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Evelyn Dybowski wrote:
"It's pretty clear that for better or worse there are major changes coming
to the trail angel system ....

This is true, but change has always been constant, it has always been this
way. Trail Angeling is not a business and should never be treated as such.
When it is treated as one it must be regulated and taxed as one.

Trail Magic and Trail Angels do it out of the goodness in their hearts.
There are no wages, employee benefits or profit. At best it is a break
even. There is no such things as a free lunch or free bed, or free shower.
Somebody paid the utility bill, gas and auto insurance, or collected
donations. Even a free donated item is paid for by someone.

Motivation to do Angeling gives blessing to the heart not the wallet. Some
day the PCT will be as busy as the AT. Would you want to replicate the AT
freeway with free shelters, expensive hostels, private hiker havens, and
the magic wherever you find it? That is free enterprise. Please don' t
confuse them. A hostel is not a haven. Even Nonprofit Hostels are low cost
fee based taxed enterprise in cash or operating expenses. Havens, Rest
Stops, Trail Stashes, are charity, supported by donations, "suggested"
donations, or not accepted at all. That is the way it works in all its
shapes and forms. And its a good thing just the way it is, always changing,
in transition, transitory, and surprising magic.

When it is no longer a surprise, and expected, money should be  be
collected or time and labor traded. Down the road, days, weeks or years
later it will be paid forward or paid back by those blessed.

Cat
sagegirl51 at gmail.com