[pct-l] Thru numbers

chiefcowboy at verizon.net chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Sun Jun 9 17:09:13 CDT 2013

On both my thru hikes I was able to take only minimal water at caches and
when I felt comfortable not taking any that's what I did.  At the front of
the pack there are a lot fewer "magic" opportunities but when we encountered
them we made sure we  took a single piece of fruit, etc.  We felt frustrated
at not feeling comfortable leaving a few bucks to offset costs, but as
another post pointed out it could well be taken by someone behind us.
Perhaps BEFORE the season kicks off next year, someone  defray could come up
with a credible list of angels and their mailing addresses so we could pop a
few bucks their way and defray costs.  From my experience there are mostly
great people on the trail but I have encountered one or two I wouldn't
invite into my home.  Most of who have hiked this trail would like to give
something back but need a mechanism.

As a point of reference, last year Donna Sauffley's commercial washer went
kaput.  If I remember, about $4,000 was donated within something like 48
hours.

One thing we can do is spread good hiker etiquette.  We can speak up
(appropriately of course) when we see someone washing their feet at a cache.
We can remind hikers that we are  GUESTS at homes when invited.

Hiking the trail is a remarkable experience and we need to do all we can to
keep the experience positive - for everybody.

Okay, off my soap box for now.

Burning Daylight
PCT 2009, 2012