[pct-l] Thru numbers

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 19:31:44 CDT 2013

If you don't want to deal with the group-think, just don't get caught
up in a group. Walk on through. Let people sleep in on town stops
while you instead get up early and hit the trail again. You'll
probably enjoy the people you meet, but there is no rule you have to
fall into a group and stay there. Just walk on through.

If you really want true solitude, find a way to get ahead of
everyone. Either split your hike into sections that you do multiple
years, or split it into sections you do in one year. For example,
start at Lake Tahoe and go north, then return and go south. Or do
some of So Cal (Section A, half of B, Section E and maybe F) early in
the season (like February/March/early April) so you can skip those
parts later and get ahead of everyone. Or do what the Wilderness
Press guide book suggested which was to leave the JMT part for last
and end your hike on Mt. Whitney.