[pct-l] Request for Strategy Comments (Maps, Guide & Data Book)

David Tamblyn surforcycle at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 01:07:34 CDT 2013

Thinking my iPhone 3GS needed only GPS satellites for my nav apps, I was confused by success in the Sea of Cortes but no data on some Mtn areas like Kennedy Meadows (south). Apple Genius folks told me my phone does need something from a cell tower to assist the GPS function, so in the Sea of Cortes the phone was getting some small cell signal even though the phone said "no service" for my app to work. The mountains block cell signals where on the water some signal might get through even over distances of 50 miles.  Not being greatly tech savy, this seems about right. Therefore I'm also using a Garmin Etrex 30 for areas where the trail gets 'fuzzy' and there is no cell coverage. I'll be testing this over the summer.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone