[pct-l] FW: Hello

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:20:07 CDT 2013

From: marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
To: pct-list at backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Hello
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:16:32 +0000

You could get on this trail and hike to Canada with nothing but the maps. Most of the way you don't even need those except for the snow covered areas. It's just fun for a lot of people to figure out stuff. I love having a map and compass to play with.Use former thru hikers to avoid obvious mistakes. Pay attention while you walk. Most of the people I run into that are lost just moved faster (out of fear) when they got confused instead of looking around and checking where they were. I've hike many "trails" with no connecting trail and found that if I look around and am willing to backtrack to where I was sure of my location I did not loose myself in the woods for hours like some hikers did. Those amazing mostly solo hikers who did this trail in the 60s and 70's had none of this info.  In '94 I had Ray's book --he had figured out the mail drops for me so I did not have to add up the miles from the old guidebook.. Now you can pick and choose how much to let in.If you have Yogi's town guide and Halfmile's maps it's a cinch. All you have to do is not go home before you are done. Have a great time,see you at the KO or Gathering Marmot