[pct-l] Getting from Lone Pine to Oregon

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 12:01:23 CDT 2013

I finished a short section in Lone Pine then headed south towards Onyx to my van. Don't know what it would be like hitching north to Tahoe or Reno but from there you can get a plane.  On 395 it was easy to hitch ride south. Also the bus goes from LP to Reno.There is a bus that goes all the way from Lancaster to Reno. Going south from LP, I got one ride to 178 and one to Onyx. Each ride was maybe 5 minutes wait. Those second people were going all the way through to 99. Buses are available on 99 to Sacramento and north. If you make it only to Lake Isabella, people there now know about PCT hikers. A local going to work probably would take you to the next town on bus route to the west(99). Good luck ---I have never had any trouble getting rides. I ask people. I clean up, take off my big hat, have a very clearly printed sign(make it before you leave home on piece of tyvec,(groundcloth) ,so you look like a hiker and not scary)and smile.  Also from the end of JMT/PCT you could probably easily get a ride. There are many hikers who are being picked up there either going N. or S.  Ask people you meet along the trail  Marmot