[pct-l] 2 million acres in California at stake for recreation

David Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Thu Jun 20 12:28:03 CDT 2013

Something smells fishy (or froggy?) here. Before hikers mobilize to write
to the Forest Service, some more information would be worthwhile.

I can't tell who Sierra Trails really represents.  Their web site mentions
"arsenal of equipment, for working on motorized trails, mulit-use trails
and accessible pathways"

For all I know, they may be at least as concerned about ATV trails as hiker
trails, and they may be fearful of regulations that could restrict dirt
bikes in sensitive riparian areas.

Designating a million acres of critical habitat for endangered amphibians
doesn't mean that the million acres of forest will be closed to hikers, but
it should mean that the forest is closed to abusive practices that threaten
the endangered species.  There is more information at

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wildlife/tes/docs/esa_references/critical_habitat.pdf

I'd hate to have hikers band together to protest critical habitat
designation for endangered species and later learn that we're stooges for
the clear cutters, cattle ranchers, and dirt bikers.

David