[pct-l] Vermilion Valley Resort

Ben G bengrunbaum at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 11:59:58 CDT 2013

Hello everyone.
I am currently at Vermilion Valley Resort on my trip on the JMT.  I have
met many wonderful, cheerful PCT hikers here such as Rodknee Dangerfield or
Dangertrail (sounds like it has changed a couple times), River, Bearded
Lady (formerly Smurf), and Delaware Dave.

Anyways, I asked Jim (the owner) at Vermilion Valley Resort if he ever
posts on the forum here.  I guess he does not.  In the mean time I wanted
to let the current hikers know that *the ferry is running at both 9 am and
4pm right now.  *Many of the other hikers, including myself, were told by
others that it is not running at all.

My second order of business is to encourage any current and all future
hikers of the PCT or JMT to stop at Vermilion Valley Resort.  They have new
bathrooms which are very nice and easy to clean. I know this was a common
complaint before, however unjust.  After one PCT or JMT hiker took a shower
the bathroom floor was dirty again.  To expect them to clean the bathrooms
after each and every hiker is unreasonable.
Also, the food has received wonderful reviews from everyone I have talked
to.  The High Sierra Salad is great.  The Oat pancakes were a wonderful
choice for breakfast.  I have decided I am going to stay here until Sunday
morning so I can enjoy the barbecue tomorrow night.  Why rush back to work?

I highly encourage anyone passing through to come here.  The prices are
reasonable considering the location and the difficulty it takes to get
anything out here.  Ignore the highly publicized, and somewhat
questionable, opinions of a select few who express their viewpoint online
and in print.  The more beers and food you drink the bigger your bill will
be. Only you are to blame for that.

I am writing this by my own volition and am happy to do so.  Many other
hikers who I have met have said they would do so to.  At least two have
said they would do so to counteract the negative review in a certain
popular handbook that they purchased.

Ok, I am done.

Ben Grunbaum