[pct-l] Smart Phone GPS Combination Discovery

James mntmn4jesus at aol.com
Fri Jun 21 14:10:27 CDT 2013

This may be old information for most of you but I work for Search and Rescue in Nevada and navigation is a big deal when searching for lost subjects.  I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note II.  I already have been using the Android app called Backcountry Navigater Pro.  The two work very well together.  If I pre download all of the maps I can use the maps without cell phone coverage (to save battery life and when when access to data is minimal).  It has the ability to change coordinate systems from Lat Long to UTM or Grid on the fly.  It has a feature to show you exactly where you are on the map and the screen is large enough to actually see a large area (with zoom capabilities as well).  My stature as a resource on the team for Navigation increased exponentially when I began using this system.  Another feature I like about the Samsung phone is that the batteries have almost twice as much life as the Droid X phones and they are replacable (unlike Iphones which require an outside power source).  The batteries are only 3 ounces a piece which means I can carry 2 without minmal weight (about 3 days of power).  I realize most of the hardcore PCT users will still want to use a solar battery charger, but it still gives you more options without a lot of extra weight.  The phone is almost large enough to be consisered a tablet, but small enough to fit on your belt.  I still carry my Garmin 62S because I am required to.  Even though the GPS is slightly not as accurate (not enough to cause a concern) it is good enough that I don't see the need to carry the extra weight.