[pct-l] Washington Snow

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Sat Jun 22 14:54:49 CDT 2013

Snow at around 4500 feet on Mt. Adams, as of 6/20, according to the
forest service. That agrees with my ~4000 ft. observation a couple weeks
ago. Mt. Adams has about 12-15 miles of trail above that level.

No really steep slopes until you get to Goat Rocks, so you shouldn't
need an ice axe until at least there, but I'm not sure of the conditions
up there. Sometimes the Packwood Glacier area melts out quickly, and you
can cross on scree, sometimes not, and you have to cross the snow.

I'll be up at Mt. Adams and in Indian Heaven this weekend. I'll drop
back in with a report then.

--Greg