[pct-l] Washington Snow

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 14:13:39 CDT 2013

Ryan wrote:

About to start a hike from Cascade Locks to Canada. Looking at a July 5th
start. How is the snow up there? I've been on the postholer web site and it
looks below average this year. Should I pack my ice axe?

The snow level around Snoqualmie Pass seems to be running around 4,000 to
4,300 feet right now depending on facing.  I did a trail maintenance
scouting trip this past weekend south of Snoqualmie Pass and (for example)
the area around Silver Peak was almost entirely snow-covered, with the snow
ending (except for patches) south of Mirror Lake.  It's melting at a good
clip, though.

As far as what you'll find on your hike, it's hard to say.  As always it
depends a lot on the weather between now and then.  Starting from Cascade
Locks you won't get up into relatively high country for a few days which
will give you a little extra melt time.  I'd expect you'll find snow fields
here and there but probably not anything that will seriously affect
navigation.  I could be wrong about that, though.  :-)

Eric