[pct-l] JMT Thru Hike?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 13:54:52 CDT 2013

Hey Andre S.

Making it through the High Sierra at that pace late in season with no snow
to contend with is easily done by distance hikers who have a few hundred
miles under their belts.  If you're coming straight from the street, it
really depends on your fitness level, but if you start early, as in when
the sun rises, you'll have 14 hours or more till dark and with a steady
pace, it should not be a problem to knock out 15 to 20 miles.  The main
downer is not having time to explore some of the marvels along the trail or
just off it with less of a feeling of urgency.

If you decide to take it slower and not rush to finish, so that you can
take in the incredible beauty, the great off trail climbs, hot springs, or
just to have an afternoon to loll on the shores of a lake that looks as if
it were made for Heaven, be assured that both ends of the JMT and almost
everything in between is so incredible, that you can't go wrong.  If you
only do half of it, you can come back next year and finish the other half.
 But it is truly the most beautiful 200+ miles of trail in the country.
 And all of it is worth spending time in.

Highlights for me are to get off the trail near Shadow Lake when you're
passing the Minarets and camp on the large rock on the far side of Lake
Ediza.  Then spend a day climbing on the slopes of Ritter and Banner and up
to Cecil and Iceberg Lakes out of which the Minarets rise as if they are
being born of those icy lakes.  The first time I hiked to the upper lake as
a kid, I watched the clouds scud by at eye level with the water's surface
and the minarets rising nearly straight up, and thought Zeus or Thor
hurling thunderbolts from the top of the massif was all that was missing.
 It is one of many wonderful side trips from the JMT if you give yourself
time.  Another is to climb up to Bishop Pass just to see the view looking
out over and into LeConte Canyon.  From the canyon floor where all the
hikers usually stay on the JMT/PCT, you get some pretty good views of the
canyon walls, but from above you see that canyon and the mountains rising
high above the rim, a view totally lost to those who stay on trail.

But, hell, stay on trail, wander off for a day or two, you can't go wrong.
 it's all just drop dead gorgeous!  And it's a long stretch of gorgeous, so
take your time and enjoy it.  This morning I just put two dear thru hiker
friends, Plain Slice and Little Engine, on the Amtrak in Martinez for their
train and bus ride to Yosemite to hike the JMT again.  They've given
themselves 3 weeks so they can really enjoy it this time.  The last time we
all hiked it together, the snow was deep and there was no thought to
exploring the little side trails as it was all we could do to find the snow
buried JMT itself that year.

Have a wonderful hike,

Shroomer