[pct-l] Training hikes

surferskir at aol.com surferskir at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 00:13:52 CST 2013

Say Dave--
Why not try the southern Sierras.  I go there all the time and it is passable with an RV.
What I am talking about is Kennedy Meadows. it is 37 miles off Highway 395 to the general store, along the PCT.  I think they would let you park there for a week or so.return
North from Kennedy Meadows (elev 6,100) you can hike the PCT north ~42 miles to Trail Pass (Elev 10,500), and then south,  downthru  Mulkey Meadows, over to Ramshacle Meadows, to Templeton Meadows, then Strawberry Meadows, Brown Meadows/Cow Camp, and return tojoin  the PCTat Monache Meadows (~22 miles more), then along the PCT to back to Kennedy Meadows (`15 miles). Total round trip about 80 miles with no shuttles.
This part of the PCT is in the southern Sierras is usually snow free in May in normal snow years, being so far south, and thus far the Sierras have a lower than normal snow year in 2013.  The only plcae you might encounter snow is above 9,000 feet, north side of the mountains.  I have hiked various portions of this area as early as mid-April and Memorial Day weekend.  Although it is COLD at night..

--Dennis--