[pct-l] MID MARCH hike

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 17:12:06 CST 2013

Patti or Lynn,
I live in Quincy (right inbetween Sierra City and Chester)  and I can tell you there's a little bit of snow in town right now at 3500 feet.  The PCT is quite a bit higher through most of this area and would have significant snow nearly the entire way from Hwy 49 to Hwy 36.

The notable  exceptions would be the descent into the Middle Fork of the Feather River and the climb up the other side.   But it would be difficult to acces the snow free area there without traveling on roads that are all snowbound right now.  The other exception is the Belden area (hwy 70) but thanks to a steep climb in either direction, you would only be able to do a day hike before ascending to snow.

In short, go to LA and hike there in March.

Charles