[pct-l] affordable lightweight advice?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 2 19:03:19 CST 2013

Myla,

Don't worry - the Aura 65 will do fine.  I started a thru hike in 2010 with an Osprey Aether 70, and it did great.  Strong and rugged and capable of carrying all my gear, including bear canister through the Sierra.  I got hurt at Sonora Pass and couldn't finish that year.  In 2011 I carried the Aether sans removable top pocket , which reduced the weight so mewhat.  It was still plenty big for my gear north of Sonora Pass, since I didn't carry a bear canister.

Because I'm old and have bad knees (and other leg problems) I started 2012 at Chester with a n e w strategy - fewer miles a day and less weight on my back.  I bought a ULA Circuit and a lighter sleeping bag, and I left the stove at home.  Since it was summer, I needed fewer clothes, so the Circuit and my reduced gear were significantly lighter, which helped the legs make about 600 miles before wildfires forced me off again.

I plan on staying with the Circuit in moderate weather; it's comfortable and adequate for my gear.  However, if I were going thr o ugh the Sierra again, I would carry the Aether, for the increased strength and capacity.  Lindsey and Dennis were right - you can do just fine with the Osprey.  If you have an extra $200 to spend, I'd say look at your sleeping system, tent, and clothes first, before switching out the pack.

Good luck,

Mango