[pct-l] Wise dehydrated food and other bulk disaster foods

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 21:44:25 CST 2013

Let me add my two cents.

Based on my experience dehydrated food only makes sense if you're moving slow and/or where water is plentiful. If water is plentiful, as in the Sierra, and you have a confined space ( bear canister) then by all means you can minimize your burden by minimizing the water weight and use the available surface water.

But if it's hot when you're hiking through the desert you're  going to be carrying a lot of water; in that case it doesn't matter if the water is in the food you eat or not when you're carrying it and in fact that kind of 'real' food is more palatable. Since you'll need the same amount of water regardless and the ultimate water weight you'll be carrying will be the same.

I tend to carry an extra liter beyond what I figure I'll need in the desert. Some of my projected water will be in fresh foods. Of course, if you are going to be on trail more than three days or so before resupply then more dehydrated food can be factored in and spoilage would necessitate this in any event.

Do yourself a favor. Fresh oranges, avocados, packaged lunch meat...it's all fair game.

Also, Toga is dead on with the observation about coloring up in town and exertion on the trail dulling the appetite.

Sent from my iPad