[pct-l] personal locator beacons

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Mon Mar 4 16:41:21 CST 2013

The accuracy of maps is all in your perception.

I have been working on a detailed mapping of a long distance trail. I WAS a
long term user of National Geographic Topo!  I used a Topo! trace of the
trail as a start of my project. I converted it to a GPX file. Then I
converted it to Google Earths KML file.  The program I used with my GPX file
wasn't bad, but it still relied on human developed maps. Converting to
Google Earth was the eye opener. Neither a trace downloaded from a newer
GPS, nor my hand drawn trail, nor a trail drawn on a published map was as
good as what I could draw on Google Earth.

Since then I have found other programs that use photographs of the earth for
mapping. Almost all the programs using photos blow the old hand developed
maps away.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com