[pct-l] Tarp camping without a bivy

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 14:03:14 CST 2013

Is the bivy system entirely necessary with a tarp?
I use a shaped tarp (SMD Gatewood Cape), my sleeping bag has a
water-resistant/windproof microfiber shell, and thus never use a bivy, so
I'd say "No, they're not entirely necessary".

That said, I would add the caveat that "it depends on the size of your
tarp". If it's large enough to adequately cover you (or both of you) such
that you're in no danger of getting wet from splash-back or winds, then
you're fine without one. If not, it can be a good thing to have.