[pct-l] Satellite phones

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Tue Mar 5 15:07:41 CST 2013

"Does anyone know the cost of a satellite phone?"

I bought a Globalstar a couple years ago for $400 on sale. I think if someone looks around they can find a similar deal now. The next issue is buying talk time. You can buy minutes or go with a plan. Buying minutes would seem like the easiest way to go, but the less minutes you buy the shorter fuse on when they expire. Plans are less costly on a monthly basis, but usually require a one year commitment. There is a plan offered by Globalstar right now that is about $40 per month with unlimited use. The phone weights about 7 ounces.

But understand a sat phone is not interchangeable with a cell phone. You need exposure to the sky. Globalstar does not have all its satellites up, so there are gaps in coverage. The result is waiting to call until a satellite is in range, and plenty of dropped calls. If you are paying by the minute it may be $3.50 or more per minute. Your number will be a long distance call if someone calls you. There are other sat phones with better coverage but they cost more to buy and the time is even more expensive. My phone can receive short text messages at no charge-which is enough for my wife to send me a daily weather report or a "CALL ASAP" message if she needs to reach me. This allows me to use up less minutes and leave the phone off most of the time. A single charge is good for weeks using it that way.

A sat phone does add to safety, but obviously at a significant price. It could very well be the most expensive piece of useless weight in your pack. Unless, of course, you or a fellow injured hiker need it, in which case it was the best investment in gear you ever made.

Herb

Herb Stroh  |  Partner
Sinsheimer Juhnke McIvor & Stroh, LLP
1010 Peach Street  |  PO Box 31  |  San Luis Obispo, CA  93406
P 805 541 2800  |  F 805 541 2802
HStroh at sjmslaw.com<mailto:HStroh at sjmslaw.com>   |  www.sjmslaw.com<http://www.sjmslaw.com/>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: ATTORNEY/CLIENT COMMUNICATION
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments thereto.
To comply with Treasury Regulations, we must inform you that any tax advice contained in this email was not intended or written by the writer to be used, and cannot be used by you or anyone else, for the purpose of avoiding penalties imposed by federal tax law. Further, this email may not be used by you or anyone else to promote, market, or recommend an arrangement relating to any Federal tax issue by any taxpayer.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.