[pct-l] MID MARCH hike

Patti McCarthy or Lynn Shapiro mcshap at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 5 16:13:45 CST 2013

> Thank you everyone who responded…looks like it'll be a hike that's in LA but  a day shorter….
> Patti

> others wrote:
> Do try a desert hike, it can be gorgeous this time of year with
> wildflowers blooming everywhere.  Cold at night though.
>
> Piper's Mom
>
> I live in Quincy (right inbetween Sierra City and Chester) and I can
> tell you there's a little bit of snow in town right now at 3500 feet.?
> The PCT is quite a bit higher through most of this area and would have
> significant snow nearly the entire way from Hwy 49 to Hwy 36.
> …..
> In short, go to LA and hike there in March.
> Charles
>
> ….. If you really want to do  some PCT hiking in March, pick a nice weather window and do Agua
> Dulce to Mojave. The wildflowers in the desert may be blooming
> (although I think I heard they are expecting the peak this year to be
> early April.)
> Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes

I just drove over Donner Pass this afternoon and although there is a lot
less snow today than there was 2 months ago, it is still a good covering.
You might make it through as it is now, but the weather outlook is for
snow on Sunday and a good dump on Wednesday and possibly more after that.
We've finally got a few storms backed up one after the other out in the
Pacific and heading in.  If you have the flexibility, I'd get all packed up
to go and just see what it's like when your departure date approaches and
run south if these back to back dumps materialize.  If they do, the
Northern Sierra is not where you want to spend a nice mid-March break.
Shroomer