[pct-l] PCT for Google Earth: each half mile?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 20:56:01 CST 2013

> I have "Halfmile's PCT - 2013" on my *Google Earth*, but it doesn't have
> each half mile marked like the PCT waypoints... ...There are campsites,
> water resources, and a few other landmarks noted, but not the mile and
> half-mile markers... ...Have I downloaded the wrong file? I'd like to get
> that richer detail...

If you downloaded the .KMZ file from Halfmile's web site, all the sub-folders
'should' be there...
First thing I would check in Google Earth, especially if the "Halfmile's PCT -
2013" isn't expanded and showing sub-folders, look at the 'box' in front of
"Halfmile's PCT - 2013"... Since you see 'some' info you should see a 'check
mark' in the box... If the box is 'shaded' and not white, that means that only
some of the sub-folders are 'checked'... Click on the check mark, it will go
away (so will all the PCT info in the GE viewing window) - click on the box
again and that will automatically 'check' & show ALL of the sub-folders...

The way to see all the sub-folders if no sub-folders are showing is to click on
the "+" square in front of the box in front of "Halfmile's PCT - 2013"... That
starts to open the sub-folders, the first two shown will be "Tracks" and
"Waypoints"... Click on the "Waypoints" "+" will show 5 'region' sub-folders;
click on the "+" for a 'region' such as "SoCal" and 2 sub-folders are shown:
"Named Points" and "Half Mile Marks" (the latter is what you are wanting to see
in the GE viewing window!)...

If those "Half Mile Marks" folders aren't there - delete the "Halfmile's PCT -
2013" file and download it a second time from Halfmile's website...

Hope all that is understood and that it helps you out!
Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)