[pct-l] Mental Health Event for Kickoff

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Mar 6 14:15:46 CST 2013

I think this would be valuable. I found that returning from a long
hike was similar in re-adjustment to returning from a firefighting
assignment. It was a let down to return to civilization after weeks of
strenuous physical labor, working with others toward a common goal, no
workaday worries, plenty of adrenaline rush--the only concern on a
fire was the physical job at hand. After returning home, having to
deal with ordinary daily living was stressful because physical
activity and camaraderie of working toward a finite and easily defined
goal provides a stress release not available in the often nebulous
ordinary world of ill defined goals. I don't know what it is about
being outside for a large part of the day--but stresses seemed to have
a chance to evaporate a lot more easily than when confined at work or
at home--John Muir's quote about cares dropping off like autumn leaves
in the wilderness It seems like the opposite of post traumatic stress
disorder--it is post wonderful experience disorder.

--Fireweed