[pct-l] Old Mine in Hauser Canyon

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:57:30 CST 2013

Since I'm going to be doing a lot of short section hikes, I have more time
at home between them to research what I see.  I hiked from the Mexican
border to Lake Morena last weekend (March 2-3, camping overnight at Mile
11).

As a one descends on the dirt road down the south side of Hauser Canyon
from Mile 14, one sees some erosion and white mine tailings across the the
canyon on the north side, just to the right of Mile 16.2. (when one reaches
Mile 16.2 one can only see a little of the erosion high up at the top of
the site).  That was the Pacific Mine, which between 1921 and 1943 removed
87,000 tons of feldspar from that hillside, a major component in the
porcelain one might find in bathtubs and sinks. Today, a retired geologist
is analyzing those tailings and discovering that what the original miners
discarded as waste contains rare earth elements and even gold, although any
revival of mining operations is not likely to happen very soon, if at all.
I have two PDF files with more details if anyone is interested in learning
more.

I realize PCT hikers are not likely to be kindly disposed to mining and
logging in the wilderness--but it happened in Hauser Canyon, and at least I
find it interesting to know what happened and why.

Ron "Manzanita" Graybill, Riverside, CA