[pct-l] cold soaking food containers

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:57:38 CST 2013

I have been section hiking for the last 2 seasons without a stove and I
LOVE it!!!  I transfer all my dinners to a ziplock before I even start
hiking.  then, I fill with water and place inside another ziplock, just in
case.  You can use the second ziplock over and over again.  It is only a
leak precaution.  I place the dinner at the top of an *inside* compartment
of my pack to soak up the warmth of the sun and in about 2 hours, it tastes
great!  Other hikers have to set up their stove, heat, soak for a bit and
still have crunchy dinner.  Mine is ready to go so I can eat and still get
a few more miles in before dark.

So my only recommendation is carrying it inside instead of outside your
pack.  I think the top of your pack is like a car in the sun.  It must trap
the heat so it is much hotter inside than outside.  My dinner was always
warm even on cool days.