[pct-l] cold soaking food containers

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:37:51 CST 2013

Me too.  I won't go back to cooking on trail without a fight!   It was just
too easy all summer on the CDT to soak a wonderful meal and have it ready
to eat as soon as my camp was pitched.  I did like Melanie and used a
separate zip lock for each meal and a second for leak proofing.  I made up
all my meals at home using a vacuum seal and had the same problem you are
having.  I'd have to go in and break the little "needles" of dried food and
try again.  Sometimes I just gave up and used the ones that wouldn't seal
in my first resupply boxes.  I didn't reuse the zip lock bags that I soaked
the food in as I always poured in a lot of olive oil and cleaning them
would have been nearly impossible on trail.

My drill was to get my food box in a town which contained a small pile of
heavy duty zip locks and then spend some time transferring the meals from
the vacuum saver bags to the zip locks, so I wouldn't end up with double
garbage on trail.

Hike on,

Shroomer