[pct-l] Monkey and Mama Bear on the PCT

Rees Hughes Rees.Hughes at humboldt.edu
Sun Mar 10 19:06:19 CDT 2013

I walked upstream from Paradise Cafe to Campo last April against the waves
of thru-hikers getting an early start on the season.  My friend, Harvey,
and I were a little north of Mt. Laguna near the end of our hiking day when
we met “Mama Bear” and “Monkey”.  Even though I could sense Monkey’s
determination from our brief encounter on the trail, I couldn’t believe the
diminutive hiker was thru-hiking and expressed my doubt to her companion
and mother.  Heather said that this had been Sierra’s dream since hiking
the JMT in 2010.  And, on September 23rd, when they arrived at the Canadian
border Sierra became the youngest person to thru-hike the PCT.

I just posted "Weathering the Storm - Part 1" by Heather "Mama Bear" Burror
about a wild 36-hour period of their 2012 thru hike.  Read it on
www.pcttrailsidereader.com