[pct-l] ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tent

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 00:38:37 CDT 2013

Hey Mark,

I used the Double Hexamid last year on the CDT and love it still.  It takes
more practice and time to pitch than my old Wanderlust (similar the the
current Light Heart) that I used for years, and has a much bigger
footprint, but it was like living in a palace all summer at half the weight
of my old single.  I pitched in strong winds several times, which was not
easy, but we managed, and Why Not joined me in there a few times when it
was simply too wild to pitch her single tent too.  It was snug, but
definitely big enough for two.  It helped to have two of us hanging onto it
then as it wanted to turn into a sail, but once we got it pitched we were
snug and dry.  You will sleep close, unlike the Lunar Duo which has much
more room, but weighs more than twice the weight.

I slept in it in rain and snow and like any single walled tarp or tent, it
will collect some condensation, but it was not bad, and as it was so large
for one person, I was bone dry in the rain.  There's lots of head room and
with the bathtub floor, which I recommend you buy along with the beak, I
could hike that right up into the door in the face of horrific winds and
remain dry.

ZPacks tents and gear were particularly noticeable on the CDT last year.
 At several camps we had 4 or 5 pitched in one spot.  Joe makes good gear.
 The more I pitched it over the summer, the easier it got.  I will use it
on my next thru hike, which should be right past Mango's back door!

I think it's a great tent, but there may be others out there with more
mixed opinions or experiences.  Let's here 'em.

Shroomer