[pct-l] Chasing chickens along the PCT

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 19:02:58 CDT 2013

One might have expected none too charming a story to emerge from a
commercial chicken farm.  But as you pass those 15 sheds just south across
the railroad tracks from Mile 4 on the PCT, at least you can rejoice that
you will be moving, as much as possible, away from human's cruelty to
animals and to the environment. (I don't really know that the chickens
there at the Eagle Rock Farming operation are force fed, but many on
ranches like that are.)  Anyway, let me share what I have learned.  Chicken
farming has been going on there for many years.  Back in the late 70s, a
couple moved to Campo and took over the supervision of what was then egg
production at the site, which was then called Cottonwood Ranch.  They
continued in that role till 2001, when they retired.  After that the
operation went through various changes until it is now owned by a large
Chinese corporation and run to produce chicken meat for Los Angeles
supermarkets.  Some 40,000 to 50,000 birds are there at any given time,
fattening up to be slaughtered.

But the environmental story relates to the earlier owner of the poultry
farm, one Sylvester Feichtinger. Feichtinger owned the Cottonwood Ranch
poultry operation in Campo at least between 1977 and 2001. Feichtinger
passed away just two months ago, leaving a vast fortune to his children who
now, as I understand it, run Sylvester International, Inc. The company has
a wide network of businesses, including farming and hotel operations in
Costa Rica, where Feichtinger's farming and Casa Calitas Resort have  been
accused by environmental groups not only of heedless disregard for wetlands
and sea turtles, but vandalism and other efforts to disrupt preservation
efforts. Feichtinger was also the original owner of what is now Le Vigne
Winery in Paso Robles, although it appears that that property no longer has
any business ties to Feichtinger International.

If one has the Half-mile GPS waypoints loaded onto Google Earth, one can
see a photo titled "Campo Train," (really the San Diego and Arizona
Railroad excursion train) sitting at about Mile 4.3, right where one
descends to the little creeklet designated WR004.  Beyond the train, one
clearly sees the Eagle Rock Farming chicken sheds.  And of course the sheds
are clearly visible on Google Earth's satellite image about 1.6 miles west
of Campo.  Pause a moment as you pass in April to rejoice with the growing
number of free range chickens all across the country.  May their numbers
increase, and their owners be blessed. Meanwhile, help any vegan hiker you
meet along the trail . . .

By the way, all this, with photos and other stuff (like the story of the
mine in Hauser Canyon), will be up on my new blog within a week, at which
time I will announce it.

Ron "Manzanita" Graybill

Riverside, CA