[pct-l] Manslaughter Charge for Bicyclist

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 20:43:23 CDT 2013

The more I ruminate about Zorglub's attempt to distinguish the recent vehicular manslaughter case as one in which the bicyclist: "was apparently racing through crowded streets and ran a red light, resulting in the death of an old man who did not see him coming"' the more irritated I get about the attempt to distinguish situations where there is no difference.  As presumably everyone but Stoll, er, Zorglub, can see it is precisely the same potential unsafe use of speed and failure to yield in an environment where there is nowhere to get out of the way for the unfortunate hiker by a group consisting without exception of law breakers in the first place.

If there were an attorney looking for a way to contribute to safety on the trail he might develop a litigation plan where hikers took packers of any vehicles around trail heads with bike racks showing the racks and their license plates and  then take pictures of any bikers the encounter on the section.  I'd assume that encountering a bicycle on the trail in such a circumstance could be extremely distressful. Especially, if a hiker felt his safety were threatened.

In that event, a complaint naming Doe defendants could be filed and a subpoena for the registration of the suspect vehicle could be issued. Then the complaint could be amended to include the name of the licensed owner and additional discovery consisting of the defendant's  deposition noticed.  Of course, the owner would be ill advised not to retain counsel which, take my word for it, will be very, very expensive, say $20,000 for a retainer,something not covered by insurance since the bicyclist is engaged in an illegal act.  Unfortunately, Mr. Stoll, employed by the Court of Appeal, will be unable to appear on their behalf.  Or they could ignore the situation and a default judgment obtained.  Especially if the hiker's lawyer didn't care about earning a fee.

Just sayin'

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad