[pct-l] is this too much

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 12 08:52:19 CDT 2013

Do not underestimate the power of your own hunger to find food for
you. There are ample opportunities to supplement whatever food you
carry with surprise on-trail food sources. Not that you should rely
on them, but you will become somewhat of a Yogi bear.

- Section hikers/regular backpackers love to give it away, especially
on the way out
- By the Sierras and above, people will be so thrilled to meet you
they will hand you food
- Sometimes you will stumble upon a cooler full of fruit or candy
- Some of those smaller resupply locations you decided you didn't
need will become opportunities to go get a little more food
- There are more restaurants near the trail than you think
- You will make up for your calorie deficit in town. Epic eating. And
you'll probably carry a bit extra out with you as you head back to
the trail.

In other words, you will survive and your hunger will lead the way.