[pct-l] ADZPCTKO hangers-on

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 12 19:26:45 CDT 2013

ADZPCTKO is for through hikers.      So if you are not a through hiker
and are not an ADZPCTKO organizer, you shouldn't plan to spend the night
there because there's no room.      When I first attended in 2001 and
again in 2002, I just bought my own campsite.    Since then it's grown to
consume all the park resources.

What I do is spend the night elsewhere and drive up for the day.   Nobody
has ever objected to that.    Plenty of parking on the PCT right outside
the park fence (one of the few parts of the PCT that you can park on
as well as drive on... for a couple hundred feet - you can even ride your
mountain bike!).     In recent years
it's been possible to buy Saturday night dinner on the day of, and sometimes
extra bandanas are available for sale, but every year is different.
Free will contributions to support ADZPCTKO seem to be accepted every year
though.

The closest convenient lodging is the Ayres motel at Alpine Tavern Road.
I usually stay there Friday night.