[pct-l] ADZPCTKO Vendors : To pole or not to pole

Chris Pratt chrispratt89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 08:41:00 CDT 2013

Patrick,

I do recommend hiking with poles especially in mountainous terrain. They
are probably the cheapest insurance against different types of injuries
while hiking.

Having said that: I've flown many times with poles strapped to my
backpack inside of a plastic bag with no issues (I tape them together
and tape the tips).  I've also used a synthetic duffel bag if I have a
place to leave it while I'm out hiking.  A three part collapsing set of
hiking sticks collapse down pretty small size and should be no issue.
I've also checked backpacks without putting them inside of anything on
flights with plane changes with no issues (just tie up the shoulder and
waist belts real good so they can not catch on anything).

Otherwise outdoor stores are everywhere in the US and hiking sticks are
easy to get.

Chris