[pct-l] Smoking on the trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 13 09:30:16 CDT 2013

Was his name Dakota John or Dakota Mike? I met a guy with that name
(can't remember which now) in Oregon. He was hiking Southbound. He
stopped and asked me if I had seen a lake and I said no. He got a
really confused look on his face. We talked for a while and he
finally realized he had hiked 5 miles in the wrong direction. So he
turned around and hiked away. I continued on. He came back a few
minutes later to tell me there was a really nice lake ahead off the
PCT I should go check out. Okay, thank you. I found a spot to make
dinner. Suddenly he appeared and we ate dinner together. He would
talk and tell me stories and nothing he said made any sense.
Everything was told out of order. One year would suddenly blur into
another, one trip in one place would suddenly become someplace else.
He was really weird. He continued hiking, then once again he turned
back to tell me one more thing. Then I never saw him again. Funny guy
but I guess he is somewhat well-known in the hiking community and I
think he's from Alaska.

Back on the subject of smoking dope. I guess if it is medicinal it's
being smoked for a different reason, but possibly not. I don't really
care either way. I'm not a dope smoker. I met a few on the trail. I
wasn't interested in that sort of experience so all I had to do was
hike on.

That's the great thing about the trail. People you don't want to hang
out with? No problem, just hike on. You can hike on by leaving early
from town. You can hike on by passing someone when they've stopped
for a break. You can hike on by hiking a couple extra hours in the
evening. It takes only about 15 minutes of separation to get yourself
back into a completely solo experience.

Last year on a section hike I met a lot of cigarette smokers. I ended
up completing the last and final little unhiked piece of the trail
and I celebrated by sitting in an outhouse with all these smokers.
I'm not a smoker myself, so it was pretty hard to breath, but better
than the smell of the toilet I guess and anyway at least these guys
were hilariously funny. What a way to celebrate! So many weird things
happen on the trail. Makes you appreciate all the differences of
everybody.