[pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Wed Mar 13 14:56:21 CDT 2013

 Poison Oak is easy to recognize during the hiking season. So, it's not too hard to avoid. It won't even be around in drier regions, and it's not found above 5000', IIRC.

Poodle Dog is also easy to spot. The flowers are a beautiful purple, so watch out for that. It will mostly be a problem in those portions of the San Gabriels and San Bernardinos that have had recent fires. After a fire, poodle dog is one of the first fire succession plants. It's particularly bad in the area of the Station Fire in the San Gabriels right now. Not everyone is allergic to it, but if you are don't even think about coming into contact with it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603213000045

Gary