[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 21

Don Amundson amrowinc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:37:56 CDT 2013

> From: Melissa Cappetti <melissa.cappetti at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

> > Hello PCT Friends!  (First time PCT Hiker here)
>
> I was hoping to get some pointers on how bad the Poison Oak/Ivy situation
> is along the PCT and I've heard that there is another plant to avoid as
> well [Poodle-Dog Bush (Turricula)].  I'm very allergic to Poison Oak and
> don't want to learn on the PCT what kind of reaction I could have with the
> infamous Poodle-Dog bush either........

The
 Poodle-Dog bush  problem may not be as bad as the last couple of years
(no science behind that statement) but Poison Oak will
be out in force as always with spring growth starting.

This
 past year I've had outbreaks of poison oak and/or poodle dog bush rash
just about every time I backpack in the San Gabriel's.
I usually go with others who never seem to have any problem.  One product that is designed for cleaning off the PO oils is
Tecnu.
 Its available in drug stores and possibly outfitters like REI. I try to
 wash down as soon as I get home (overnight trips) and
to wipe down
my gear.  Sometimes I still get a rash 4-5 days later from whatever.
There seems no rhyme or reason for it.  Lately
I think I've been
affected by the bare branches since PO in particular is mostly leafless
at the moment.  Learn what the stuff looks like
and try and avoid
it. Long pants and long sleeve shirts may help preventing initial
contact but I think transfer from your clothing and gear
inevitable
if you're sensitized to it.  Once you get through So. Cal. you should be
 OK.  I know you want to know how to get through
So Cal but there is no magic for that.